Christmas 2012

Friday, September 10, 2010

Life Update

It has been ages since I posted and the little voice in the back of my head would no longer allow me to avoid it. I figured that since I'm pretty much immobile for awhile it would give me a good opportunity to catch up.

The saying goes that bad things come in three's and we have finally had our third.

It all started several weeks ago with the first. We had planned our very first party in our "new" home. We'd been living there almost a year and figured that a housewarming was in order however late it may be. The night before, our air conditioning unit completely died. Man was it hot! Thankfully we had a friend that was willing to come out on a Saturday and check it out for us. Unfortunately, it was going to be a major repair. We could either buy the part or get a new unit. Either way, we were looking anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000. Talk about crushing...Fortunately, we were blessed that my Dad had a buddy that he's known for years and we were able to get a new unit for the cost of the bad part. Granted, it's still $3,000, but definitely worth it. Finally after three weeks we will finally have air conditioning this coming Saturday. Believe me, we are counting down the days!

In dealing with having no a/c we invested in a lot of fans to help us survive and for the most part, it has worked marvelously! Unfortunately, last Thursday morning around 12:30am, our town had a big power outage and we lost the fans too. It was unbearable! Finally, I called my folks to see if we could come stay down with them. Of course they said yes...hooray!! Keith decided that since it was already 1:00am that he would go ahead to the firehouse since he had to be up there at 5:30am anyway. Mom, Chris, and myself piled into the truck and made our way down to my parent's. On our way we realized that the power outage was bigger than we thought. A light on Route 7 (three lane highway) was out and it was very dark. There were about 10 cops out there with flares making sure everyone made it through ok. As we were about to go through the light, where all the cops are standing, we are suddenly sideswiped by a car. I immediately pull over...and the person who hit me KEEPS GOING!!! The phrase that kept shouting over and over in my head was "They're getting away you fools". Some sort of variation from the phrase in Meet the Robinson's. LOL. Needless to say, the cops went after this person. I was disappointed in the fact that, if you are actually going to attempt to "flee the scene", go above 40 miles per hour. Especially when the speed limit is 55. They caught the kid. He was driving under a suspended license and was drunk. Not his first DUI...oh, and he was a minor. That shocked me a bit. The truck got scraped up pretty good, but thankfully he had insurance. And we were all very blessed that night as none of us were hurt.

And finally we have our third. This past Tuesday I really got in the zone and was working around the house as the weather was finally decent and my house was relatively cool. I did really well. The last thing I had to do was take the laundry downstairs before I could start dinner. We were having the missionaries over this particular night and I was super excited about making burritos. Anyway, I had a big ol' basket of laundry and I made it down the first flight and onto the landing. As I took my third step going down the second flight I came down squarely on one of Chris' toy tractors. Everything went in slow motion at this point. I started careening head first down the steps, but my toes got stuck at a funny angle. The rest of my foot kept going and I knew I was in deep trouble when the tops of three of my toes touched the top of my foot. Thank goodness Chris was asleep because he did not have to hear me screaming. Mom came running and after a few minutes I hobbled back upstairs to call Keith and figure out what to do. I ended up calling 911 because the pain was just excruciating. I think I gave the medic and assistants a good laugh. When I am in a lot of pain I tend to get slap happy. Our quick ambulance ride to the ER was quite fun...especially after the drugs were administered. After x-rays it was determined that I had indeed broken my big toe. Unfortunately I broke it right along the joint so I ended up have to go and see a podiatrist yesterday. I am going to need to get surgery asap and will be laid up for about a month. I loved this doctor though. She (and all the other staff) had a great personality and were so nice. If anyone needs a good podiatrist, I can offer a great one!

That has been our life this past month. I will try to do better on getting on here. We will just have to see where the future takes us. At this point, the only way to go it up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment